Notes from the Manager
Yes, I reached into the depths of my lameness and named this strip after a Coldplay song.
Let's give a round of applause to Angie Booth, the winner of a random drawing among Multiplex: Enjoy Your Show Kickstarter backers. She won the dubious honor of "a job at the Multiplex 10 Cinemas," and while I wasn't originally sure what I was going to do with "Angie 2" when she first appeared, as she came to be known, was always meant as a temporary character.
I actually considered killing her off suddenly almost immediately after introducing her, but I decided that might be a little weird, even for Multiplex. So, she stuck around longer than I planned, and was more popular than I expected, but hey, what are you gonna do?
Thanks for being a sport, Angie. Stand up a wave, please!
Oh, and a slew of new T-shirt designs went up in the Multiplex Store last week, so check 'em out!
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Ten years ago this month (on July 10th, 2005, to be specific), I posted two shitty looking comics to a corner of the Stripped Books website. At that point, I had no idea what I was in for: it was a gag strip that would quickly transform into a character-based comedy where people talk about movies — not just superficially about specific movies, but about how people watch and talk about movies of all kinds. The art got a little better, too.
The Multiplex characters took on a life of their own and ultimately turned this comic into an eleven- or twelve-year “epic” about the movie theater industry in one of the most interesting periods in its hundred-year history (and also this one jerk who kinda sorta becomes a slightly better person maybe if you squint your eyes and cock your head to the side a little).
Multiplex’s readership grew quickly in those first few years, thanks in very large part to a pair of guest strips on PvP and some well-placed Project Wonderful ad campaigns (thanks, Something Positive and Shortpacked!), and in the years since it has since retained a small but passionate readership that has supported me time and time again: the Patreon project of course, as well as two successful Kickstarter projects to fund two books I’m very proud of.*
Thank you for allowing me to tell this story.
Thank you for reading.
* Speaking of Kickstarter projects, there will be an announcement about Multiplex: Book Three… very soon.
Other Recent Posts
- Gumroad now takes PayPal!
- Multiplex is taking a short break.
- Multiplex: The Chosen One
- Tell me a story. (Looking for a prose writer for an eBook single.) — UPDATED
- Leonard Nimoy (1931–2015)
- Cyber Monday is stupid, but the books are on sale, anyway!
- “Steeping” by Gordon McAlpin
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!