Notes from the Manager
Related Strips: #58: Familiarity Breeds Contentment
UPDATE (4/21): As explained in a comment over on the spoiler-free side, I hadn’t seen Oblivion when I first wrote this strip. Jason’s opinion was synthesized from a handful of reviews that all pretty much agreed about the film. (Multiplex is fiction, not a review comic.)
I saw the film tonight, and while I enjoyed it for the most part, it’s prettier than it is smart. The story does feel like entirely too much of a mash-up of WALL•E, Moon, The Matrix (and The Matrix: Revolutions), and 2001: A Space Odyssey, plus some smaller elements from other movies — Planet of the Apes, Solaris, Independence Day… I could go on, but it added up to a kind of frustrating experience.
Some corny scripting and thin characterization didn’t help, either, though the actors did their best, and director Joe Kosinski kept things fun to look at.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
I just purchased a new shipping module for The Multiplex Store that gives me more flexibility in setting shipping and handling costs, so US customers will see much better rates on all (physical) items in the Multiplex Store. If any of you guys in the US balked at the shipping costs before, be sure to check them out now.
Books are $5 for the first one then $1.50 per additional book (rather than $5 per book), saving you $3.50 if you order two books. T-shirts are now $4 for the first shirt (any size) and $1.50 per additional shirt. And sketches and other artwork are also $4 for the first item, then $1 per additional item.
Rates for international customers are unchanged; I still use USPS First Class International’s rates as they are quoted by the USPS without any additional markup.
Now is as good as any to pick up that copy of Multiplex: There and Back Again!
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer
- Trailer Watch: Bill Murray in St. Vincent
- Multiplex is now in Comic Chameleon!
- “Duet” by Glen Keane
- “The Gunfighter” by Eric Kissack and Kevin Tenglin
- Turtle Power (and other things)