Notes from the Manager
I’m being purposefully vague about the numbers here, because the reality is a little more complicated than even my wordiest strips could possibly cover. Roger Ebert explains it in pretty general terms here, but the gist of it is, the lion’s share of the ticket price goes to the film distributor for new releases. Over time, that percentage gets bigger, but of course, attendance for most films is pretty front-loaded.
That’s why candy, popcorn, and soda cost so damned much at movie theaters: it’s where they make their profit. So the point Jason is making here is that rather than show a movie they know will sell, maybe, ten tickets, they spend a few hundred extra on renting an old film print (or “virtual print”) that hopefully a hundred people or so will want to see, making a small profit (or more likely breaking even) on the film rental, but adding to the concessions sales in the process. (It’s worth noting that the general manager of a theater — i.e. Norma — also gets bonuses based on concessions sales.)
Anyway. See you Monday!
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Monday, December 1, 2014
In addition to the Multiplex Book set being 25% off, the individual Multiplex books are now 20% off each — and for you digital comics readers, the PDF eBooks are on sale, as well. Check out the EXTREME SAVINGS at the Multiplex Store today!
I feel like a prostitute every time I write copy like this. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Other Recent Posts
- “Steeping” by Gordon McAlpin
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series