Notes from the Manager
Related Strips: #259: Here He Goes Again
You can see the trailer for Milk over at Apple. The film has been in limited release for a couple of weeks, but should in a relatively wide release across North America now.
We’ll be talking about it a bit tonight at 9PM Central on The Triple Feature (as well as a few other movies, including — I think — Doubt and The Day the Earth Stood Still), but the short version of my opinion of the film is that I felt it did a terrific job of balancing the story of the life of Harvey Milk with enough historical context to make it understandable — yet without ever feeling like a history book, either. To the filmmakers’ credit, they also managed to avoid whitewashing Milk as a human and glorifying him to the point of some sort of mythological hero, as well.
The cast is superb and director Gus Van Sant’s use of archival footage throughout the film, rather than just at the end as in many other biopics, really helps to set the film in its time and place (and, presumably, to keep the budget down). Much more than just a cookie-cutter biopic or an “issue” movie, Milk is a fantastic movie: smart, funny, and, of course, heartbreaking, but never too sentimental for its own good.
(If you’re wondering why Chase not knowing who Harvey Milk is is a big deal, I recommend Steven Petrow's recent editorial, “Remembering the Lessons of Harvey Milk: What It Means to Be Gay,” for The Huffington Post.)
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Joe was stuck in traffic, so Tom Brazelton and I handled it like Captain America and Falcon in Captain America: The Winter Soldier! We also talked about the French supernatural drama The Returned and the all-new Ms. Marvel.
Also, I messed up and forgot to hide the little icons so you can see me when I don’t think you can see me. SUPER PROFESSIONAL PODCASTING SKILLS.
Download: MP3 (36mb)
Join the Conversation
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: Jenny Slate in Obvious Child
- Trailer Watch: The Rover theatrical trailer
- Trailer Watch: X-Men: Days of Future Past final trailer
- Trailer Watch: David Fincher’s Gone Girl
- Trailer Watch: Guy Pearce in The Rover
- Trailer Watch: 22 Jump Street red band trailer
- Trailer Watch: How to Train Your Dragon 2 official trailer #3
- Spoiler Zone: Captain America: The Winter Soldier talkback
- Trailer Watch: Godzilla extended look
- Trailer Watch: ScarJo stars in Limitless 2: The Matrix — I mean, Lucy