Notes from the Manager
If at first you don’t succeed… try, try, try, try, try again?
Sometimes I have to wonder how some people keep getting work. Superman Returns broke even at best and cost $270 million. Valkyrie broke even at best, with “only” a $75 million production budget. Unless the overseas box office is ridiculously good, the $200 million Jack the Giant Slayer is going to be a massive bomb. Bryan Singer has made some pretty good movies, but at what point does Hollywood say, “Hey, maybe this isn’t the guy we should be giving the reins to a $200-million-plus movie…?” (Personally, I think his strength is with character, not action, and he should step back and make some low-budget stuff again. As much as I love X-Men 2, the action scenes aren’t exactly great.)
I asked this question on Facebook last night and it generated a fun conversation:
What are the unforgivably shittiest, terrible movies ever made by undeniably great directors? Key words: “by great directors,” so no saying anything by Robert Rodriguez or Clint Eastwood (even though he’s made a few great movies, I don’t think he brings much to the movies as a director, as much as he occasionally produces films that are great because of their scripts and actors).
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Saturday, November 22, 2014
A short experimental film I made for schoolz. (Mostly) shot in 240 fps slow motion on an iPhone 6. Edited with Final Cut Pro. There are a few shots I’d have liked to redo if I wasn’t under the gun for a deadline (and hadn’t run out of tea), but… oh well.
Other Recent Posts
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer