Notes from the Manager
This is the first of… three or four, depending on how I end up breaking apart the next few updates.
Splice, for the uninitiated, is the latest film from Cube writer-director Vincenzo Natali. It's been getting some fantastic reviews — and a mess of scathing ones to balance things out a bit. If you've seen the trailer, you're probably expecting an sci-fi-horror/action-thriller like Species.
But where Species was pretty much a crap action movie, it had one thing going for it — Natasha Henstridge naked (and a lot of it); with Splice, there's very little in the way action (or frights) to speak of — despite the trailers, it's going for more of a thinking-man's sci-fi approach — and that's all well and good if you've got a great script like last year's Moon.
Unfortunately, Splice does not — for reasons I'll get into in the next strip, so I won't lay them out here. It's just another "science is bad" tale, but it's neither smart enough or fun enough to pull off that inherently dodgy premise.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
I just purchased a new shipping module for The Multiplex Store that gives me more flexibility in setting shipping and handling costs, so US customers will see much better rates on all (physical) items in the Multiplex Store. If any of you guys in the US balked at the shipping costs before, be sure to check them out now.
Books are $5 for the first one then $1.50 per additional book (rather than $5 per book), saving you $3.50 if you order two books. T-shirts are now $4 for the first shirt (any size) and $1.50 per additional shirt. And sketches and other artwork are also $4 for the first item, then $1 per additional item.
Rates for international customers are unchanged; I still use USPS First Class International’s rates as they are quoted by the USPS without any additional markup.
Now is as good as any to pick up that copy of Multiplex: There and Back Again!
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer
- Trailer Watch: Bill Murray in St. Vincent
- Multiplex is now in Comic Chameleon!
- “Duet” by Glen Keane
- “The Gunfighter” by Eric Kissack and Kevin Tenglin
- Turtle Power (and other things)