Notes from the Manager
You can read a bit more about the incident this strip addresses over at Movie Make-out ("James Joseph Cialella Jr., folk hero"), if you didn't see it last week. Yes, it actually happened (of course), and — just to nip one line of offense in the bud — no, wanting to help a guy pay for legal fees doesn't mean you're condoning anything he (allegedly) did, up to and including the attempted murder charge — if, in fact, Mr. Cialella was attempting to murder the guy, which I seriously doubt. I'd lay money down that charge gets reduced or dropped.
From the article, it seems as if the gunshot victim was between his family and Cialella, yet Cialella returned to his seat to watch the movie afterwards, which leads me to believe he probably could have easily killed the gunshot victim if he had the inclination to do so — but I'm not a cop or a lawyer, so what do I know?
One thing I do know is how to read, though, and the number of articles that edit out (in my opinion) crucial details in the timeline of the incident, or headlines that are oversimplified to the point of inaccuracy (such as "Phila. man shot because family talked during movie," for instance), disturbs me. No, the two men argued because the family talked during the movie, and the dispute turned physical, after which Cialella allegedly drew his gun. It's not as if they were talking, and he immediately turned around and shot the guy. The scant information we do have from the Philadelphia police makes this perfectly clear.
Anyway, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how this case progresses.
(Thank you for the translation assist, Jackson and Sofía.)
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Joe was stuck in traffic, so Tom Brazelton and I handled it like Captain America and Falcon in Captain America: The Winter Soldier! We also talked about the French supernatural drama The Returned and the all-new Ms. Marvel.
Also, I messed up and forgot to hide the little icons so you can see me when I don’t think you can see me. SUPER PROFESSIONAL PODCASTING SKILLS.
Download: MP3 (36mb)
Join the Conversation
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: Jenny Slate in Obvious Child
- Trailer Watch: The Rover theatrical trailer
- Trailer Watch: X-Men: Days of Future Past final trailer
- Trailer Watch: David Fincher’s Gone Girl
- Trailer Watch: Guy Pearce in The Rover
- Trailer Watch: 22 Jump Street red band trailer
- Trailer Watch: How to Train Your Dragon 2 official trailer #3
- Spoiler Zone: Captain America: The Winter Soldier talkback
- Trailer Watch: Godzilla extended look
- Trailer Watch: ScarJo stars in Limitless 2: The Matrix — I mean, Lucy