Notes from the Manager
Related Strips: #125: All Right, Already
Uh… well, this was supposed to be about The Dark Knight, but two things happened: (1) the Watchmen teaser slipped onto the interwebs a day early, and (2) I realized I didn't have anything to say about The Dark Knight since I haven't seen it yet. So, Monday, then.
To those of you who aren't quite as up on your movie trivia as most Multiplex readers and couldn't figure it out (and can't be arsed to click on the related strips, which would have explained it to you), Slow-Mo Spartan Storybook Time means 300, which was — like Watchmen — directed by Zack Snyder.
If you haven't seen 300, this clip from early in the film will give you a taste. (Unfortunately, the only example of the incessant narration Jason is referring to with the "Storybook Time" part is at the very end, at about the 8:00 mark.) While some of the slow-mo stuff looks neat enough, it just seems like a big fat exclamation point on whatever is going on in the movie at the moment — and after a full movie of it, it gets annoying. Very, very annoying. (To Jason, not Kurt.)
The slow-mo bits in the Watchmen trailer seem to hint at more of the same — although admittedly this sort of thing is (over)used constantly in trailers these days, even when it's not used in the actual films.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Friday, August 15, 2014
There’s no telling how the film will turn out, but the trailer for The Theory of Everything impressed me by having a respectably balanced focus on both the life of Stephen Hawking (and relationship with his first wife) and the work he is so admired for, unlike so many other film biographies of so-called Great Men.
James Marsh (Man on Wire) directs Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones in the November 7th release.
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer
- Trailer Watch: Bill Murray in St. Vincent
- Multiplex is now in Comic Chameleon!
- “Duet” by Glen Keane
- “The Gunfighter” by Eric Kissack and Kevin Tenglin
- Turtle Power (and other things)
- Trailer Watch: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer #3