Notes from the Manager
In case you hadn’t heard, yeah, the producers of a Star Trek fan film called Axanar are being sued by CBS and Paramount in order to stop them from producing the flick, which has raised over $1 million via three crowdfunding projects so far. You can read a little more about Axanar Productions’ reaction to the suit in their “Captain’s Log” blog post from December 30th, as well as in the update to Variety’s article about the suit here.
A lot of people are getting really upset about this, because Star Trek has had a long history of turning a blind eye to fan fiction — with professional Trek actors often popping up in the bigger-budgeted ones, but I think the budget here makes a huge difference. At what point does fan work stop being fan work and just become unlicensed work?
The fact is, they can’t claim that this is fair use just because they don’t; fair use is only decided by a judge or a jury. Similarly, while I believe that Multiplex’s use of posters and film stills is fair use because of—at various times—commentary, criticism and parody… only a judge or jury can say that it IS fair use. At this point, there isn’t really much legal precedent for works like this, and that’s what I find interesting about this lawsuit.
If it does make it to court, this could be either very good or very bad for people who like playing with other peoples' intellectual toys—as well as for people like me who want to comment on media through other media.
Multiplex News & Updates
Bonus comics, drawings, and
other awesome stuff
Saturday, July 1, 2017
Chapter 16 collects strips #339 –362 from the Multiplex archives, plus four bonus comics and one “extended scene” not found in the archives! Chapter 16 costs $1.99.
Supporting the Multiplex chapter eBooks helps make future Multiplex print collections possible. Thank you for your support!
Other Recent Posts
- Multiplex: The Revenge is now available!
- Multiplex Movie Review: Joe Dante’s Burying the Ex (2014)
- Come meet me at Wizard World Philadelphia (June 2–4 only)
- Multiplex 10: the animated short is now (officially) in pre-production
- Multiplex 10: the comic book?! (addition to the $20k stretch goal)
- The Multiplex 10 Kickstarter project ends in THREE DAYS
- The Multiplex 10 Kickstarter has SIX DAYS TO GO
- Multiplex 10: Good Talk
- Multiplex 10: Hyrule Isn’t Going to Save Itself
- Say hello to Kurt and Jason