Notes from the Manager
So… yeah! I’m sure some of you will want to discuss Elysium below, but please keep the comments below spoiler-free for people who haven’t seen it yet. No “spoiler warnings,” just… you know, discuss it without unreasonable spoilers.
My take: it’s pretty dumb. As an action movie, it’s fun, and there are some great effects in it, but the way the premise plays out is like is about as sophisticated as an eight year old wishing for world peace. It just doesn’t explore its ideas with any depth.
I wouldn’t say Elysium is District 9 all over again, personally, but some critics have, so I thought I’d make Jason think that. In any case, District 9 is the smarter movie, the more engaging movie, and the better action movie because of it.
(I think they’re different enough, but I think a lot of people were hoping Elysium would be as different from District 9 as District 9 was from… well, every science fiction movie before it. Except for maybe Alien Nation. What we got was… very much a companion piece. I hope Neill Blomkamp stretches his range a little bit more next time around.)
Please be sure to check out the post below re: Multiplex T-shirts and being a model and whatnot!
Join the Conversation
Posting Rules: Do not post comments about typos; e-mail me or use Twitter instead. No spamming, and no trolling. Inappropriate comments may be edited or deleted, and repeated or egregious offenders may be IP banned — so don’t be a dick. Please.comments powered by Disqus
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Thursday, April 17, 2014
This apparently hit big at Sundance, and who doesn’t like Jean-Ralphio’s sister on Parks & Rec? Okay, maybe a lot of people, but Jenny Slate is fuckin’ funny. Anyway. Obvious Child is an indie comedy-drama about a young potty-mouth comedian (Slate) who finds out she’s pregnant and… just watch this.
Obvious Child was written and directed by Gillian Robespierre. It hits theaters on June 6, 2014. It’s so indie, its official movie site is on Tumblr.
Join the Conversation
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: The Rover theatrical trailer
- Trailer Watch: X-Men: Days of Future Past final trailer
- Trailer Watch: David Fincher’s Gone Girl
- Trailer Watch: Guy Pearce in The Rover
- Trailer Watch: 22 Jump Street red band trailer
- Trailer Watch: How to Train Your Dragon 2 official trailer #3
- Spoiler Zone: Captain America: The Winter Soldier talkback
- Trailer Watch: Godzilla extended look
- Trailer Watch: ScarJo stars in Limitless 2: The Matrix — I mean, Lucy
- I’ve been drawing Turtles, I guess. Here’s Leonardo.