Notes from the Manager
So… yeah! I’m sure some of you will want to discuss Elysium below, but please keep the comments below spoiler-free for people who haven’t seen it yet. No “spoiler warnings,” just… you know, discuss it without unreasonable spoilers.
My take: it’s pretty dumb. As an action movie, it’s fun, and there are some great effects in it, but the way the premise plays out is like is about as sophisticated as an eight year old wishing for world peace. It just doesn’t explore its ideas with any depth.
I wouldn’t say Elysium is District 9 all over again, personally, but some critics have, so I thought I’d make Jason think that. In any case, District 9 is the smarter movie, the more engaging movie, and the better action movie because of it.
(I think they’re different enough, but I think a lot of people were hoping Elysium would be as different from District 9 as District 9 was from… well, every science fiction movie before it. Except for maybe Alien Nation. What we got was… very much a companion piece. I hope Neill Blomkamp stretches his range a little bit more next time around.)
Please be sure to check out the post below re: Multiplex T-shirts and being a model and whatnot!
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Sunday, May 3, 2015
This is the final version of the Multiplex animated short I made for my Animation class this semester. No promises, but hopefully this will be the first of many! Thanks (again) to Matt Matonich for providing the voice of Kurt!
Some of you will recognize Jason’s final line as a title of Multiplex #285, so I’m sort of recycling something here, but not really. In any case, Jason and Kurt being in red vests is an indication that these shorts take place outside of current Multiplex continuity.
Other Recent Posts
- Tell me a story. (Looking for a prose writer for an eBook single.) — UPDATED
- Leonard Nimoy (1931–2015)
- Cyber Monday is stupid, but the books are on sale, anyway!
- “Steeping” by Gordon McAlpin
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer