Notes from the Manager
I have to admit, since I’ve been doing movie jokes again (or rather, jokes about new movies again rather than jokes about movies in general, like in Book 6), I’ve had this nagging feeling that I’ve already done just about every one of these jokes before. Which is probably to be expected after 6+ years of doing a comic strip. And sooner or later, I’ll probably be right. Whenever that finally does happen, sorry! Hopefully it will be different enough that most of you won’t notice.
Anyway. A Good Day to Die Hard opened this weekend. I don’t really hate the sequels; I think Die Hard 2 gets a bad rap, and that it’s actually decent — just not nearly as good as the first one. I never saw all of Die Hard with a Vengeance, but what I saw didn’t really encourage me to see the rest. I enjoyed Live Free or Die Hard as a dumb fucking movie with some pretty fun action. “The new one” looks even bigger and dumber, and the reviews I’ve seen support my hunch, so, like the fourth one, it’s a rental for me, at best.
What I can’t get around with any of them after the second one is that they missed the main thing that made the first Die Hard great: he’s a normal fucking guy. John McClane was the antidote to the Arnolds and Slys of the 1980’s. Now, he’s a superhero, just like the rest. I saw Die Hard for the first time in high school on cable, and it was fucking magic — so for me, these sequels don’t count. When I do watch them, I just pretend they’re about some guy named Jon MacLaine. Or something.
See you Friday.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Monday, December 1, 2014
In addition to the Multiplex Book set being 25% off, the individual Multiplex books are now 20% off each — and for you digital comics readers, the PDF eBooks are on sale, as well. Check out the EXTREME SAVINGS at the Multiplex Store today!
I feel like a prostitute every time I write copy like this. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Other Recent Posts
- “Steeping” by Gordon McAlpin
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series