Notes from the Manager
We’re finally about to start filming, but we won’t see any “footage” for another week (just in time for Halloween). I like slow pacing. What can I say?
Yasujiro Ozu is one of my favorite directors. He’s one of Japan’s most revered filmmakers, with a career spanning from 1927 to 1962. While many of his early films have been lost,
I believe all many of his sound films are available in Criterion Collection DVDs or Blu-Rays, and almost all of them are beautiful, understated (“boring,” to many people) films. Unfortunately, none are available on streaming at Netflix, but they're all up on Hulu Plus.
I have a few reviews of Ozu’s films up at the Deleted Scenes blog (originally published at Gapers Block, back in the day). His best-known film is Toyko Story, and that’s as good a place to start as any.
As Jason says, Ozu’s trademark style involved low camera angles (really, a low camera height, not low camera angles, but it’s described that way all the time), an almost motionless camera, and relatively little cutting. It’s a beautifully poetic style, and I would shamelessly rip it off if I ever made a film.
Do we have any Ozu fans out there?
How much Multiplex can you handle?!
In addition to the warm, soothing feeling of being a patron of the fine art of comic strippery, Patrons get access to free Multiplex eBooks, sneak previews of upcoming comics and other behind the scenes peeks, sketch giveaways, and more!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Tuesday, September 29, 2015
I know I don’t usually post stuff like this here, but I was so amazed by this major NASA announcement yesterday. Check it out!
Other Recent Posts
- Multiplex Movie Review: The Island (2005)
- Multiplex Movie Review: Transf4mers: Extinction of Ultron
- Multiplex Movie Review: Transformers something something… the third one, anyway
- Multiplex Movie Review: Ex Machina
- Multiplex Movie Review: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
- Multiplex Movie Review: Transformers (2007)
- Multiplex: The Revenge pre-orders are OPEN
- Multiplex Movie Review: Bad Boys II
- The Multiplex: The Revenge Kickstarter ends at 9PM Central!
- Multiplex Movie Review: Bad Boys