Notes from the Manager
You've probably heard about this by now, but less than a month after Netflix announced it's (stupid) idea to split Netflix into two separate websites (and divisions), with "Qwikster" as the umbrella for its DVD offerings, they've backpedaled.
And, like before, they announced it in a blog post. Brilliant. While there's some merit to realizing when you've made a bad decision, the split was never a good idea and all three of these major announcements has been handled incredibly poorly. (Trying to pass off the price hike as a good thing was pretty insulting, I thought.) This whole thing is a PR nightmare that just won't end for them, and Reed Hastings is basically making himself look like a fucking idiot. It's pretty likely he's going to idiot himself out of a job soon, too, if their board of directors has been paying attention to the stock price…
Now, I'm a die-hard movie geek, and I think their streaming offerings and DVD offerings are still worth the higher price, so I'm still with them, but my faith in the company is pretty damned low at this point. (Full disclosure: I canceled my disc service when they announced the split and then reinstated it after they backpedaled.)
How about you? Are you still with Netflix, or have you abandoned ship already — after the price hike or the Qwikster announcement, or after this…?
UNRELATED NOTE: The comments section no longer requires a login — but I will be moderating with an iron fist, just as before. No douchebaggery allowed.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Monday, December 1, 2014
In addition to the Multiplex Book set being 25% off, the individual Multiplex books are now 20% off each — and for you digital comics readers, the PDF eBooks are on sale, as well. Check out the EXTREME SAVINGS at the Multiplex Store today!
I feel like a prostitute every time I write copy like this. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Other Recent Posts
- “Steeping” by Gordon McAlpin
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series