Notes from the Manager
Kurt's comment about Joel Edgerton's character winning is basically straight from my girlfriend's mouth, and she did not see the movie, so it's not a spoiler.
I, however, did see Warrior and won't say whether or not that comment is accurate, but I will say that it was a really good movie — in spite of the inevitability of most of the story's plot points. I even got a little teary in a spot or two, but that's not really unusual when I'm enjoying a movie with well-rounded characters and a modicum of well-executed drama.
Here's the trailer:
Nick Nolte was amazing as Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy's reformed drunk of a father, and the two leads themselves were excellent, as well, as anyone who's seen either of them in other films would expect. Joel Edgerton was, as Jason says, great in the 2010 crime film Animal Kingdom. If you haven't seen it, it's fantastic, and well worth tracking down. Edgerton will also be seen in the upcoming prequel to The Thing. Called The Thing.
The film hasn't done well at the box office, because people seemed to be more interested in Contagion, but if you like boxing movies, you should check it out (not that Warrior is a boxing movie, but it leans heavily on those tropes).
(By the way, I saw Warrior with my friend — and former Boxcar Comics brother — Zach Miller of Joe and Monkey, and you should read his comic.)
Oh, and Jason is wearing a T-shirt sporting the logo for Twitch, one of the best movie news sites on the interwebz (hopefully they don't mind). Kurt's shirt is pretty obvious, I think. Just squint harder if you can't tell what it is; you've seen it before.
Anyway. So what'd you see this weekend, and what'd you think?
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Saturday, November 22, 2014
A short experimental film I made for schoolz. (Mostly) shot in 240 fps slow motion on an iPhone 6. Edited with Final Cut Pro. There are a few shots I’d have liked to redo if I wasn’t under the gun for a deadline (and hadn’t run out of tea), but… oh well.
Other Recent Posts
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer