Notes from the Manager
Kurt's comment about Joel Edgerton's character winning is basically straight from my girlfriend's mouth, and she did not see the movie, so it's not a spoiler.
I, however, did see Warrior and won't say whether or not that comment is accurate, but I will say that it was a really good movie — in spite of the inevitability of most of the story's plot points. I even got a little teary in a spot or two, but that's not really unusual when I'm enjoying a movie with well-rounded characters and a modicum of well-executed drama.
Here's the trailer:
Nick Nolte was amazing as Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy's reformed drunk of a father, and the two leads themselves were excellent, as well, as anyone who's seen either of them in other films would expect. Joel Edgerton was, as Jason says, great in the 2010 crime film Animal Kingdom. If you haven't seen it, it's fantastic, and well worth tracking down. Edgerton will also be seen in the upcoming prequel to The Thing. Called The Thing.
The film hasn't done well at the box office, because people seemed to be more interested in Contagion, but if you like boxing movies, you should check it out (not that Warrior is a boxing movie, but it leans heavily on those tropes).
(By the way, I saw Warrior with my friend — and former Boxcar Comics brother — Zach Miller of Joe and Monkey, and you should read his comic.)
Oh, and Jason is wearing a T-shirt sporting the logo for Twitch, one of the best movie news sites on the interwebz (hopefully they don't mind). Kurt's shirt is pretty obvious, I think. Just squint harder if you can't tell what it is; you've seen it before.
Anyway. So what'd you see this weekend, and what'd you think?
Join the Conversation
Posting Rules: Do not post comments about typos; e-mail me or use Twitter instead. No spamming, and no trolling. Inappropriate comments may be edited or deleted, and repeated or egregious offenders may be IP banned — so don’t be a dick. Please.comments powered by Disqus
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Joe was stuck in traffic, so Tom Brazelton and I handled it like Captain America and Falcon in Captain America: The Winter Soldier! We also talked about the French supernatural drama The Returned and the all-new Ms. Marvel.
Also, I messed up and forgot to hide the little icons so you can see me when I don’t think you can see me. SUPER PROFESSIONAL PODCASTING SKILLS.
Download: MP3 (36mb)
Join the Conversation
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: Jenny Slate in Obvious Child
- Trailer Watch: The Rover theatrical trailer
- Trailer Watch: X-Men: Days of Future Past final trailer
- Trailer Watch: David Fincher’s Gone Girl
- Trailer Watch: Guy Pearce in The Rover
- Trailer Watch: 22 Jump Street red band trailer
- Trailer Watch: How to Train Your Dragon 2 official trailer #3
- Spoiler Zone: Captain America: The Winter Soldier talkback
- Trailer Watch: Godzilla extended look
- Trailer Watch: ScarJo stars in Limitless 2: The Matrix — I mean, Lucy