Notes from the Manager
I'm not sure this strip truly conveys the boredom and frustration with sitting by listening to people discussing an utterly inane idea that I meant it to, but the "everything in music has been done before" conversation — as obviously stupid as it seems to be to me, at least — is something I hear every few years, usually from young people (as in this strip), and more often than not from people who aren't musicians.
You could have the same conversation about fine art or comics or whatever, and it's essentially rooted in the same inability to comprehend the meaning of the word "infinite" — or, occasionally, an insistence on the sort of overly reductive classifications that lead to silly statements like "there are only 7 basic plots" (or thirty-six, or whatever the number is a particular writer feels like claiming).
To really, effectively convey the boredom and frustration I wanted Becky to be displaying here, I'd probably have needed to do an eight page strip of this circular conversation. But that would be kind of annoying, I think.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Friday, August 15, 2014
There’s no telling how the film will turn out, but the trailer for The Theory of Everything impressed me by having a respectably balanced focus on both the life of Stephen Hawking (and relationship with his first wife) and the work he is so admired for, unlike so many other film biographies of so-called Great Men.
James Marsh (Man on Wire) directs Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones in the November 7th release.
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer
- Trailer Watch: Bill Murray in St. Vincent
- Multiplex is now in Comic Chameleon!
- “Duet” by Glen Keane
- “The Gunfighter” by Eric Kissack and Kevin Tenglin
- Turtle Power (and other things)
- Trailer Watch: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer #3