Notes from the Manager
Related Strips: #485: The Floater, Part One
For those of you who aren't Kickstarter backers (and don't follow me on Twitter or Facebook or wherever), there are two bits of news about the Book 1 collection that I can share with yaz:
1. Multiplex: Book 1 now has the official (sub-)title of "Enjoy Your Show." Or, really, Multiplex: Enjoy Your Show. It was one of the first titles I came up with, and while I was trying to come up with something else (because of a little-known and now out of print novel by the same name that I've never read), I just kept coming back to it. So: Enjoy Your Show, it is.
2. The Prequel story is now complete, so there are TWO final things left to do. Namely, proofing the book before I send it to the printer and the cover illustration, which… is gonna take some designing, but will at least be fun. Unlike the proofing.
I expect it'll take a few days to design and draw the cover illustration, and I'd like at least a full week of proofing and re-proofing and re-re-proofing, because once I send it to the printer, it'll be a lot harder (and potentially very expensive) to fix anything.
How much Multiplex can you handle?!
In addition to the warm, soothing feeling of being a patron of the fine art of comic strippery, Patrons get access to free Multiplex eBooks, sneak previews of upcoming comics and other behind the scenes peeks, sketch giveaways, and more!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Saturday, May 21, 2016
So I finished my Master of Fine Arts degree—technically as of March 31, although I’m still working on a couple of assistantships. But I got my diploma in the mail today.
This is one of the weirder things I did in grad school. It was a project I did for a Graphic Design Studio class, and the only stipulation was that you had to make a collection of… something. I chose to do a “collection” of twelve books that shaped who I am as a person. Not necessarily books that I still hold dear, but that really connected with me when I read them.
So, I call it an autobiography, although obviously it’s not. I decided to make a story scroll using clippings from these books, cut and pasted to build a NEW story (a creation story). I made scroll handles for it from wooden dowels (painted bronze) and bronze drawer handles on all four ends.
It was roughly 6¾ feet long if you completely unrolled the scroll, so I’ll only show the first bit here. You can click through to the Patreon page I posted it on a couple of years ago if you want to read the whole thing. I made it public so anyone can see it.
The books are (in no particular order): The Book of Job, translated by Stephen Mitchell; The Illustrated Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking; Cages by Dave McKean; Cat’s Eye by Margaret Atwood; Epileptic by David B; Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman; Hamlet’s Mill by Giorgio de Santillana and Hertha von Dechen; Justice League: A New Beginning by Keith Giffen, J. M. DeMatteis and Kevin Maguire; Metaphors We Live By by George Lakoff and Mark Johnson; The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan W. Watts; and The Complete Winnie-the-Pooh & The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne. (The Pooh books are technically two separate volumes, so it’s really thirteen, but I now own a single-volume collection of them. I also read Justice League in the issues first, not TPB, so whatever.)
Enjoy! Or just kind of squint your eyes and wonder why this is something that graduate students spend their time doing. But hopefully you’ll enjoy it.
Other Recent Posts
- Multiplex will be back on Monday
- Multiplex: Chapter 13 is now available!
- Multiplex: Chapter 12 is now available!
- The Sessions: Voice Acting in Anime and Video Games
- Multiplex will be back soon. (updated)
- Work on Book Three has begun.
- Multiplex is back (yes, already!)
- Multiplex is on a short hiatus.
- Major NASA Announcement
- Multiplex Movie Review: The Island (2005)