Notes from the Manager
So… #350, if that sort of thing means anything to you. Me, not so much (I get more excited about the year anniversaries every July 10th), but thank you for reading all the same, everyone.
The movie the boys are watching is Dito Montiel's Fighting, starring Channing Tatum and Terrence Howard.
You can see the trailer over at Apple, if you want, but honestly, though, the trailer doesn't do the movie a lot of justice. From its hip-hop soundtrack to the generic voiceover that spells out the film's ridiculous plot as if it was the slightest bit original, it's simply all wrong for the movie. For a better taste of the film, watch this minute-long clip from one of the best fights in the film (as well as the scene they're watching in the second-to-last panel):
That's not to say the movie is all action; it's not. There are only five or six fights, and only a couple of them last more than a few minutes — but they're good. And even though the cast is mostly just adequate, co-writer and director Dito Montiel infuses Fighting with a swaggering, streetwise sort of charm and a lot of visual style — not to mention a bumping soundtrack filled with funk and soul.
From the second the credits start rolling, you'll realize that Fighting is essentially a modernized, relatively serious take on a blaxploitation film… except, you know, starring Channing Tatum. It's definitely worth a rental or a matinee (perhaps with a drink or two beforehand, to get you through the film's weaker spots).
Anyway, thanks once again to Jackson Ferrell, Brandon J. Carr and Steve Napierski for their guest strips earlier this week and last. Their comics are, of course, now in the Guest Strips page.
See you Friday! Multiplex will return to its usual Monday/Thursday updates next week.
Multiplex News & Updates
Bonus comics, drawings, and
other awesome stuff
Tuesday, February 6, 2018
Multiplex Books 2 & 3 are on sale for $9.95 each at the Multiplex Store — over 50% off for Book Three! FREE MINI-POSTER SET with every order! Everything must go! (Okay, not everything but how about a couple of cases?)
If you don’t yet have Book One, I’m sorry to say I’m sold out, but it’s available from Amazon!
Other Recent Posts
- Multiplex 10 is here… the animated short AND the web series!
- Multiplex 10: the web series is coming!
- Multiplex 10 Indiegogo Second Chance campaign launches TOMORROW at 11am
- Multiplex: Chapter 16 is now available!
- Multiplex: The Revenge is now available!
- Multiplex Movie Review: Joe Dante’s Burying the Ex (2014)
- Come meet me at Wizard World Philadelphia (June 2–4 only)
- Multiplex 10: the animated short is now (officially) in pre-production
- Multiplex 10: the comic book?! (addition to the $20k stretch goal)
- The Multiplex 10 Kickstarter project ends in THREE DAYS